Z FX vs Z DX nowadays - for non-proffessional

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Qbalion
Qbalion Contributing Member • Posts: 634
Z FX vs Z DX nowadays - for non-proffessional

I am pretty committed to photography and even did some commercial sessions but for now I decided to continue shooting just for fun - as a hobby. Still I do have my "ambitions" with portraiture, street and occassional indoor events, kids doing some sports and landscapes during trips and hikings.

1,5 year ago I switched to Nikon Z50 and was amazed with its IQ even with the kit lens. Later on when I finished my photography school and started to do TFP sessions with models I felt a bit limited with lack of fast primes (for low DoF portraiture), lack of IBIS for low light conditions and I just wanted to try FX.

At present for model sessions I am very happy with my Z6 (also temporarily Z7) accompanied with 24-70 f/4S and a set of 2 primes: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and Viltrox AF 85mm f/1.8. But for trips, street and everyday walk I simply do not take it due to its weight and for those purposes I still keep my Z50.

I can hardly justify keeping both FX and DX formats for my needs. My modest FX setup stays within $2600 budget and still I'd need 35mm prime and 14-30 f/4. At the same time Viltrox released a set of three DX f/1.4 primes covering 23, 33 and 56mm FLs and Nikon is going to release DX 12-28mm zoom.

Staying with Z DX format only would allow me to have 3 native Z Viltrox primes + 3 Nikon zooms covering range of 12-250mm (18-375 equivalent) with a similar (or lower) budget. But I'd probably miss some IQ, IBIS, low light performance, AF reliability, bit shallower DoF etc.

Anyone is planning or did such optimization? Please share your experience and comments - Z DX vs FX?

-- hide signature --

Our craft over our lenses over the camera bodies

Qbalion's gear list:Qbalion's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow