Win-11 ... OK ... sort of

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Carey Brown
Carey Brown Senior Member • Posts: 2,433
Win-11 ... OK ... sort of

Finished installing Win11 upgrades on my wife's and my laptops. Took about 2 hours each. So far I haven't found any programs that have broken (fingers crossed).

Now the rant. I HATE the new Start menu. I had spent lots of time meticulously configuring my start menu in Windows 10 with almost 50  icons organized into groups. All gone. Replaced by Microsoft's idea about what I should have, which mostly included stuff you had to pay for. And ONLY 18 icons. And no groups. All my stuff? Gone.

Based on a recommendation from Tom's Hardware I downloaded and installed Start11 from Stardock.com. I configured it for Windows 10 look and feel. It then took me a couple of hours to find all the applications and reassemble the start menu as it had been. So, it seems to be working.

Stardock.com was annoying as well. Beware that when you give them your credit card info and click the download button that nothing happens. I went all over my machine trying to find the downloaded file but there was none. It was only half an hour later when I happened to start up Thunderbird that I found a bunch of emails from them with the actual download links. They ended up billing me duplicate times that I'm going to have to ask for refunds for. Would have been nice if the download button popped up a message that said "see email".

-- hide signature --
 Carey Brown's gear list:Carey Brown's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow