Topaz DeNoise AI 3.5 mini Review

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 22,380
Topaz DeNoise AI 3.5 mini Review

I just DL'd it. I'd say it is better than the previous version, at least on the Windows platform.

It's still slow-ish on my lower-mid range PC, it took about 4.5 minutes to convert from a 20 pm ORF (ISO 6400) to a DNG.  Image quality is pretty good, I think.   Good enough that I see no reason to switch to something else.  On the whole, I'd have said that 18 months ago, Topaz DeNoise AI was behind DXO in handling raw.

At this point, I'd say it is close enough that it is not a clear-cut choice, certainly when comparing DXO Pure-Raw to DeNoise.  And if you want your noise control tool to also work on bit-mapped photos as well, or add masking capability to your noise control, I don't think any residual difference in Raw output would matter all that much to you.  I'm certain the Topaz generated DNG can be edited into an excellent finished product.

Here is a comparison shot of the "before and after" in ACDSee compare.  These are unedited, except for running the image through DeNoise 3.5. The one on the left is "pre DeNoise"

Below, is a part of the Change log.

Change log:

• New theme for the app
  • Added ability to use eraser end of tablet stylus to erase mask
  • Added current mask to the navigator while in masking mode
  • Changed error “0” message on login to be more explicit about what may cause it (firewall/AV)
  • Removed “Error: CANCEL” text when canceling an export
  • Added an info box to prevent users from accidentally running the app from the DMG instead of installing (Mac only)
  • Remove All button removed when in external editor mode
  • Masking and Remove Image buttons now hidden when exporting
  • Progress bar for exporting should now only show on currently exporting image
  • Re-worded Side-by-side View → Side-by-Side View
  • Re-worded Re-Install Photoshop Plugins → Install Photoshop Plugin
  • Changed in-app update flow to support old install path on Mac

Fixes:

• Fixed Wacom tablet not pressing buttons and not releasing when panning
  • Fixed various images and icons being blurry (login, close buttons, app logo)
  • Fixed “Cancel” button missing from plugin and external editor mode
  • Fixed DJI FC220 and Hasselblad L2D-20C DNG output
  • Fixed view mode switching being enabled while masking
  • Fixed Photoshop plugin not processing correctly in auto update mode
  • Fixed text elision in the output path in save dialog
  • Fixed collapse toggle being enabled when exporting
  • Fixed Add and Remove All buttons being enabled when exporting
  • Fixed switching out of comparison view leaving the wrong model selected sometimes
  • Fixed canceling an export causing the image canceled to not save next time
  • Fixed padding in the watermark warning dialog
  • Fixed padding in the feedback dialog
  • Fixed a crash in the feedback dialog
  • Fixed Save Image/Apply being enabled when no images are selected
  • Fixed auto not being reset when typing in or using hotkeys to change slider values
  • Fixed completed icon being removed when no changes were made

Known Issues:

• Studio 2 integration on Mac requires the user move the .app back to the old location (/Applications/Topaz Labs LLC/Topaz DeNoise AI/Topaz DeNoise AI.app)
    – This is required because Studio 2 checks this path directly.
    – If you do not use Topaz DeNoise AI inside of Studio 2 as a plugin, please don’t use this path.
-- hide signature --
 Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow