Leica CL with 23mm f2 vs. Canon M6 II with 22mm f2 -- opinions?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Matt Waller Forum Member • Posts: 66
Leica CL with 23mm f2 vs. Canon M6 II with 22mm f2 -- opinions?

I'm an Olympus shooter, mostly doing street photography plus some portraiture, currently very tempted to upgrade to a Leica CL. I find myself a little stuck on this comparison:

The CL and M6 II are very similar in many ways. They're both small, rangefinder-style APS-C ILCs with available pancake 35mm-ish equivalent lenses, that offer good image quality in a portable form factor. Both lack IBIS, both lack weathersealing, both have a silent/electronic shutter option, both weigh a titch over 400g, the Canon has slightly better battery life but if you add the external EVF to match the Leica's built-in one they probably come out the same. Both inhabit a kind of abandoned-child corner of their company, with a little lens list that's not likely to expand.

In many ways the darn M6 II seems to offer more. It's smaller, with its tilt screen and optional EVF making it stealthier and more pocketable.  Its ugly front grip probably makes it more comfortable to hold. It has Canon's celebrated dual pixel autofocus, with apparently very decent face and eye detection. And its APS-C sensor has 33MP to the CL's 24.

I've also been doing a little online imagine sampling of the Canon EOS-M 22mm f2 ($249) vs. the Leica TL 23mm f2 ($2,069), and I'm really stretching to see any difference.

Nevertheless, I can't stop preferring the CL.  Why?  Am I being completely irrational?  I'm curious to see what others think about this comparison.

Matt Waller's gear list:Matt Waller's gear list
Olympus E-PL8 Olympus E-M1 II
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow