R5 or R6 from 5D Mark III... or neither?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
UncleDude New Member • Posts: 7
R5 or R6 from 5D Mark III... or neither?

Hi Folks,

Used this site for research in the past and have finally created an account.  I've not used my camera much, which is a 5D Mark III, for a few years.  Didn't lose my interest in photography... just life got in the way I guess.  Anyway, I've really been wanting to do more and started out looking for a good, used 70-300 because one of the things bringing me back is to take photos of waves down at the beach.  I'd also use it for wildlife on hikes as well, and other things.

I primarily do landscape photography, in which I want to add waves and seascapes to it more.  I also do like to take it out on hikes and capture wildlife, too.  I also take it to some sporting events that are outdoor and need a faster shutter or are indoor and need higher ISO because even a 2.8 isn't enough.  I've never been impressed with the M3's performance when it comes to noise.

Was talking to a guy at a local camera shop here in San Diego asking if they had a used 70-300 and he got to talking to me about the R6 and now I'm kind of torn.  I was not planning to drop the cash for a new body and lens.  If I do end up getting an R5 or 6 I would likely get the 100-500 L to go with it, plus an adapter so I can use my EF lenses, too.  He's less of a fan of the R5 because it has a heftier price tag that he doesn't feel is justified over the R6 and he said it has a duplication/cloning issue.  Example:  He does night photography and notices duplication of stars in the images.  He attributed it to the fact that the R5 has two pixels squeezed into the space of 1 (compared to the R6, I guess).  What causes it is less important than if others do see the same issue.  Is it an issue?  Would I even notice or encounter it with the subjects I shoot?  I've always wanted to do some night sky photography but never got into it because of the noise from the M3.

So, I've read a couple of reviews and specs on the R6 and from that alone I'm not that convinced the move to mirrorless is right for now (but that could be influenced by not planning to spend as much).  But I also find it hard to determine that just reading a bunch of technical info.  A lot of times you may not be impressed with numbers but when it's in your hand and you see the results it's a different story.  So I'm asking what everyone thinks in that regard.  Will I be pretty impressed by making the move?  Should I maybe wait for the next generation?  I have to admit from what I've read and what the guy told me on the phone the ISO performance in regards to noise is going to make me pretty happy.  He also said the 100-500 is impressive and tack sharp throughout it's entire range which sounds incredible.  Any "gotchas" about switching (like the lack of top lcd screen)?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow