Oly 100-400mm vs Panny 100-400mm

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
2nd Wind Contributing Member • Posts: 807
Oly 100-400mm vs Panny 100-400mm

Hi, I shoot a lot of wildlife using Nikon DSRL's and I've been happy with the results over the years. When the MX-1 was announced it got my attention for it's build & features, however,  the cost was too seep for me to invest in a 4/3 system. Recently though I bought a used MX-1 for much less than half the original offering of $3k and now looking to compliment this camera with at least a couple lenses for a relative compact and weather sealed kit for my backcountry hiking & canoeing adventures.

My first thought was to get a couple lenses to cover as much range as I need for the type of photography I shoot and I've considered a Oly 12mm-100mm f/4 Pro would be ideal on the short end but not sure about the longer reach. The Oly 100mm-400mm  or Panny 100-400 looks tempting, however, wonder about the f5-6.3 (panny) on a 4/3 body in the realistic lower light conditions I normally shoot in. Higher ISO seems to degrade more on that smaller sensor as I've observed with my old LX-100, my original 4/3 camera.

Of course the Oly 300mm f4 pro appears to be a wonderful lens in build and performance but with a 600mm 35mm equivalent its not versatile. My thoughts for a two lens kit to with continuous coverage from wide to somewhat long leave me to strongly consider the Oly 100-400  or Panny version & 12-100 for a compact backcountry kit. Remember that at this time my sole purpose in the 4/3 system is for backcountry wildlife. If it proves that the performance of the MX-1's AF & IQ  (it's the specs/performance of the MX-1 I'm betting on) hold up to what I'm getting with my Nikon gear I will consider investing in fixed lenses such  or 300mm f4 pro.

I'd like to get some feedback from wildlife shooters who are using either version of the 100-400 and which one they prefer. Likewise with the 12-100.

Thanks

Pentax MX-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow