Family Candids, Travel and Day Hiking -- what's my next lens?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chaik Junior Member • Posts: 28
Family Candids, Travel and Day Hiking -- what's my next lens?

Amateur enthusiast here with a Z6 II, 24-70 f2.8, and FTZ.

When I bought my camera, I was evaluating the 24-70 f4 vs 24-200 as my first lens.  I noticed the typical tradeoffs and decided against the 24-200 because I wanted better low light performance or more shallow DOF.  I was then offered a very significant discount on the 24-70 f2.8 and grabbed it.  I do love it, but I'm now looking for a lens with more reach, primarily for family photos (young kids and dogs) and future travel.   We also love to hike as a family, so I'd like a reasonable option for that.

If I was buying from scratch today, I would probably grab the 24-120 as that would balance the low light needs with range. But, that's not where I am starting from.  I'd love some recommendations for that next lens.

A few scenarios I've thought up:

1. Just get the 70-200 2.8.  Big expense, but I can make it work as my one big extra purchase for the year.  I'd love the DOF crush for zoomed-in candids, it's reasonable for city travel, but that's a heavy two-lens combo for day-hiking.

2. Get the 24-200.  Yes, total overlap in 24-70 range, but this keeps my low light solution with the 2.8, and a travel / day-hiking / outdoor zoom lens with the 24-200.

3. Go for a non-Z lens around 70-300 range (I have the FTZ), save some $, and have a lighter zoom option, albeit with lesser optics and less DOF crush.

4. Sell the 24-70 f2.8 (gulp!) and put it toward the 24-120 and a future 70-200 or 100-400.  Makes sense for most needs, but I sure would miss the extra stop from 24-70.

Recommendations / thoughts? TIA.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow