Is there any good reason to buy an MF lens in M43 mount?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeeter001 Contributing Member • Posts: 643
Is there any good reason to buy an MF lens in M43 mount?

If you have adapters and speedboosters/focal reducer, is there any reason to buy a manual focus lens in an M43 mount if it is available in an FF/APC mount in which you have adapters/speedboosters?

For example, say I'm interested in a Lensbaby 56mm.  If I have Canon EF to M43 adapters and a speedbooster, is there any good reason, other than an awesome price deal, I would prefer the Lensbaby in an M43 mount vs Canon EF mount?  Even if I didn't have a speedbooster, the EF mount choice always leaves the option to get one.  An adapted mount via speedbooster gives two focal lengths for the price of one (with the caveat that some lenses might not work well with a focal reducer and so this rationale may not apply to those).

With an AF third party lens I can see where the lens's native M43 AF might perform better than an adapted lens with AF support and tip the scales to getting the M43 mount, but for MF I can't fathom a reason why I would ever get M43 mounts unless it is only available in M43 or it's priced much cheaper in M43.

Jeeter001's gear list:Jeeter001's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +50 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow