Ideal event gear

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Paul JN
Paul JN Contributing Member • Posts: 611
Ideal event gear

I've started introducing flash into my event work as low light can be a problem.

There are few bounce options so I want to hold camera in the right hand and off camera flash in the left. Trouble is that the R6 + 28-70 f2 + trigger is a lot of weight for one handed use.

35mm is my ideal focal length so the RF 35mm 1.8 might be just what I need except that I read focus tracking with this lens and STM motor is not great. Perhaps it will be fine at f4-f5.6?

Other options are

1. RF 24-105mm f4 but I am not sure if that will also be heavy for one handed use. I guess this is a case where renting will help.

2. put the flash on top of the camera and stick with the 28-70mm f2 - not keen to sacrifice the off camera flash look

3. Use my fujifilm X100v. Weight is perfect but focus tracking is comparatively poor. I don't need focus tracking much but when I do it's nice to have the capability. Could increase aperture to f5.6-f8

4. Get the fujifilm 23mm f2 for my X-T4 (which I keep meaning to sell) - not sure how much better the focus tracking will be

5. Wait for a better 35mm RF

Any comments / thoughts?

Paul JN's gear list:Paul JN's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +8 more
Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow