Purchasing lenses following your genre or vice versa?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
julyas43
julyas43 New Member • Posts: 16
Purchasing lenses following your genre or vice versa?

Just had a thought, so I jumped deeper into photography, as a hobby at least, was when my father bought a Canon EOS 60D with the EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens. Well, I've always loved photography before that but that chonky DSLR with lots of features opened up a lot of possibilities.

That 18-200mm lens is all we had. It's great as a travel lens, never missed a beat. But as we've never bought any other lenses I kinda stuck using it. I both love and hate it in the end. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I could never really get creative with it, with all the limitations it had.

So last year I finally have a full time job and after a year I finally decided to buy myself a camera. Another Canon as I'm really used to it, not only because of my dad's 60D but well, when I have a project and borrowed a friend's camera, it's always a Canon (it's what they had, not because I was nitpicking). Mine is an RP with the RF 24-105mm f4-7.1 kit lens. Not a great lens admittedly, but it is still a perfect lens for traveling. Which I did use for a short vacation I took quite recently.

Not long after I bought two prime lenses, one is the EF nifty fifty with a third party adaptor, and the other is a TTArtisan 21mm f1.5 manual lens. So here's the thing, the EF to R adaptor I bought is so that I can get myself used EF lenses that are cheaper to equivalent RF ones. The nifty fifty felt like a general purpose one, I still don't have a particular genre to use on that other than making events documentary photos look more professional (I'm a PR guy in my office), and the 21mm.. well truth be told it's to combat the RP's 4K video crop, so that it has 35mm focal length look. But turned out I love the photos it could give, have some unique look for portraits, despite a few limitations.

With the lenses I now have, I still feel like I don't have a particular photography genre that I master. Probably because of that, I have some eagerness to purchase wider types of lenses. 70-300mm telephoto, 16-35mm wide (thinking to use it as a more versatile 4K video lens with zoom and AF, but keeping the 21 as a fun lens), and a fast 24-70.. probably for video too? I don't want to sell the 24-105 though as it's useful for travel as I said earlier.

Like, some people are masters on a particular lens because of their work, portraitists with prime 50s or 85s, wedding photographers with prime 85s or fast zoom lenses, wildlife photographers with their 600s. You know the stuff.

What do you guys think? Should I be a "jack-of-all-trade" with a variety of lenses, or should I keep my head down and mastering what I currently have for a while and then purchase a new lens type much much later? Mind you my work is not that demanding, this is mostly for hobby's sake.

What stories do you have regarding lenses in your life as a photographer? Be it a professional or hobbyist. Let me know in the replies. Would love to hear it.

julyas43's gear list:julyas43's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS RP Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +3 more
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow