Sony DSC-P93A Won't turn on

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,253
Sony DSC-P93A Won't turn on

I have owned this Sony DSC-P93A Digital camera since May 10, 2005. I used this camera for a year or 2, then I was seduced by the Canon 35mm full size digital cameras and I bought a Canon Rebel XSi. (I know - it's a crop camera!) Both were very good for their intended purpose but, as time went on, i eventually used the Rebel exclusively. I now use a Canon 7D and my trusty Samsung J7V Cell phone.

So the Cybershot has been sitting in it's old original box for the past 14 years, just collecting dust i finally decided that I should give it to my 2 grandsons, ages 6 and 8, to go with the new photo printer that I gave them for Christmas.  So, I dusted off a pair of AA batteries a that I found in the coffee table, inspected them for obvious flaws (negative) and installed them in the camera, paying close attention to the polarity of each. Then I closed the battery door and pressed the Power button.  The result was underwhelming and very disappointing. The light that was supposed  to turn on at start-up failed to show anything.   However the coffee table drawer is not the best place to find fully-charged AA cells, so I dug out my battery tester and put it to work.  5 of the 6 candidates tested well into the green and the sixth had to "Walk the plank."

Trying to excite this old camera again with batteries that are known good was, again, not successful.  😥

So, my DPR bretheren, have you any suggestions for reviving a 16 year old camera which has been sitting unused for about the last 14 years?  I have a pair of rechargeables warming up in my battery charger and i will try those tomorrow, after I clean the battery contact points with an eraser.

Any other suggestions, friends and nieghbors?

-- hide signature --

Yogi

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow