*** Challenge #328: Creative Cropping. ***

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bathgate
bathgate Senior Member • Posts: 2,884
*** Challenge #328: Creative Cropping. ***

Sorry for the delay in gettin the new challenge up. I had some ideas for it but had trouble sifting through the catalog for examples.

I really enjoyed jocksa's last challenge for his having us show before and after images from doing conversions. I'm borrowing that approach for this one.

I can't speak for others here but over the years, creative cropping has made, revealed and saved some of my better shots. This challenge is all about cropping. Show your original, out of camera framing and then show your final crop and processing of the image. The crop of the image should be an important element in your final composition. In my mind, it should "save" a bad or marginal image by making it into something eye-catching and note-worthy.

I wound up having a tough time coming up with examples but I'll post a few below that I hope will illustrate what I'm inviting here.

Please post the original full frame shot first and then the crop with each entry.

Rules:

1. This challenge will run until midnight, Pacific Standard Time, January 30.
  2. Photos must have been taken with a Nikon camera.
  3. You're allowed up to three entries, but create a unique post for each please with a unique title, please - and remember to include the original colour shot.
  4. Images can have been taken at any time.
  5. Enjoy!

Best of Luck!

-- hide signature --

Michael
http://infinitemonkeyphotography.smugmug.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/62001028@N07/

Examples:

Eagle and crop:

Fighter jet and crop

Mountain layers and crop

Hummer and crop

Have fun everybody!

bathgate's gear list:bathgate's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow