Sample Pictures from the Sigma 65mm F2 - My New "Normal"

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 4,328
Sample Pictures from the Sigma 65mm F2 - My New "Normal"

Picked up a Sigma 65mm F2 to replace my Sony 55mm F1.8. This lens feels exceedingly solid in the hand and is really enjoyable to use with the aperture ring, albeit at the cost of some weight gain over alternatives (more so with the all-metal hood attached). LoCA feels well controlled for the aperture, and the lens is ridonculously sharp, having no problems resolving 42MP. If my 55mm was 9/10 for AF this lens might be 8/10.

I feel like 65mm is a nice compromise between 50mm and 85mm, allowing for portraits/isolation in a pinch without eliminating viability as a "walk-around" lens.

Besides the aforementioned weight other trade-offs include a lack of complete weather sealing (mount gasket, but not internally sealed) and a cooler rendering that can come off as a bit clinical before post-processing. The filter size is an odd 62mm, so don't expect to re-use your filters.

Overall, the lens is very fun to shoot with good results in a variety of situations. I found myself perfectly comfortable doing a weekend trip @ 65mm and could see myself bringing just the 65mm and my Tamron 20mm for future excursions.

Samples:

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +1 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow