Wildlife Lens for my XT4?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rastadori
Rastadori Junior Member • Posts: 44
Wildlife Lens for my XT4?

Hi All

So I've been doing a ton of research on trying to find which lens to use for my wildlife photography. I specifically do Owls/BIF. Weight typically isn't an issue as I always go on my tripod as well. I currently have the XT4, the 1.4 tele and the Fuji 100-400. Problem for me is, the AF is slow during low light and the Owls tend to hunt around a lot in my area once it gets darker. I do bump up my ISO and that helps with the focusing but then my images aren't really sharp. Even in broad daylight, I feel that my shots at 400mm aren't very sharp. I hardly use the 1.4x because when I do, it struggles even more.

So my thoughts, I do have a Fringer EF-X Pro II. I'm also aware that the Fuji 150-600 is suppose to come out at some point this year (hopefully) but that aperture will play a huge role on price. I've looked at the sigma lenses both Contemporary and Sports and they look like good options.

What would you all recommend? I feel like at 400mm its still a bit short. I think I would appreciate 500mm or 600mm. Sure I can throw in the 1.4 to get that, but then I definitely feel like I sacrifice AF and IQ.

My goal is to spend $2,500-$3,000. I'm all for one of the older Canon 500mm lenses f4.5 or Sigma 500mm f4.5. But I haven't had much luck on finding results with that combo

Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated it.

As for my AF settings, I've been using the below for a little over 8 months:

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/stories/fuji-xt4-birds-in-flight-test/

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow