Nikon 400mm F/2.8 with 1.4TC - field review

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
FrankG Senior Member • Posts: 2,550
Re: Nikon 400mm F/2.8 with 1.4TC - field review

George DeCamp wrote:

FrankG wrote:

Quite possibly. However it's primary purpose is to be a 400mm F2.8 and if that's the focal length you mainly want then it makes sense, It's going to really show off it's capabilites at that focal length. To me ot makes no sense to buy such a premium 400mm lens if I will only ever really be using it as a 560 or 800 or 1120 with converters.

Frank

Well thanks for your expert opinion!

I personally find that even a 700mm lens (500mm F4 + 1.4 converter) on my D500 (1050mm FOV equivalent) is often not sufficient reach with small birds for best results and often I even use the "1.3" crop mode on the D500 as I would be wasting space using the full DX mode.  Although I often also do manage to get some excellent results (the Sigma 500 takes the TC-1401 extremely well and that combo can be used wide open with confidence).

I couldn't go back to a 400mm for birding though.  An 800mm would be much more useful and even then I will sometimes resort to using a converter.  Of course there's always an exception - large birds!

Frank

FrankG's gear list:FrankG's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z9
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow