Good Reasons to Own Both XF 70-300mm and XF 100-400mm?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
LarsPolarBear
LarsPolarBear Contributing Member • Posts: 577
Re: Good Reasons to Own Both XF 70-300mm and XF 100-400mm?

I also own both lenses, bought the 100-400 mm together with the X-S10 while moving from m43 to Fuji a little over a year ago. At that time I was unhappy, that Fuji only offered this heavy lens, but was looking forward for its IQ.

I received the 70-300mm as an early Christmas gift in November and immediately loved the light weight, it reminded me of my old m43 gear. As some of the others commented, if it would have been available a year ago, I might have not gotten the 100-400mm.

However, during the past three months, I have struggled a little with the 70-300mm, it is too short for birding and most other wildlife, therefore I use it mostly with the 1.4x extender, which makes it too slow for anything but bright daylight. Again, as others have mentioned, it is also noticeable slower to focus and I am also struggling to get the IQ, that I am getting from the 100-400mm.

Therefore, I will keep both lenses, the 100-400mm for wildlife around my home or where I don’t have to schlepp it up a mountain or for 20 km. The 70-300 plus the 1.4x extender is my travel and hiking solution - I really enjoy its light weight, makes me happy every time I use it.

So, there you have it, my reasons to keep both. I would be unhappy with only one if them!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Lars

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow