Where do the pixels go?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 2,978
Where do the pixels go?

I love the photo editing software on Google Photos.

I’m in the habit of shooting a few hundred 16mp photos a week and using a dongle to download to my iPhone.  This automatically loads them to Google, which my wife has access to and she spreads my oversaturated, sentimental and hackneyed propaganda productions far and wide on social media.

Google now charges for storing photographs.  Not much, but it’s no longer free.

I’ve noticed that if I shoot some defenseless building by the side of the road, it may come out 15.9 mp and 4.6 mb.

But if I hit an automatic edit function to saturate the colors a bit more, almost always it will lose a megabyte or even more from the file and shrink it to about 13 mp.

Google saves the original if I want, which doesn’t change.

My saved copies are further downsized and edited time mid again, and my entire mission is to churn out pictures that people who know where those buildings are can enjoy them.

But occasionally I take a shot I’m extra proud of and might ought to be kept so years from now anybody that might care could further edit it, again.

Where do all those pixels go when photos are edited?

If I’m where I might get some better shots I turn my cameras up to Super Fine, but does that help or just make a bigger file?

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow