Noise & Dynamic Range Comparison: R5 -vs- 6D

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cs hauser Contributing Member • Posts: 739
Noise & Dynamic Range Comparison: R5 -vs- 6D

Noise comparison at High ISO

Noise Comparison at High ISO

Comparing high ISO RAW files. The R5 @ ISO 25600 looks better than 6D @ ISO 25600, and worse than the 6D @ ISO 12800. This suggests that the R5 is maybe 0.5 stop better than the 6D at high ISO.

.......................................................................................

Dynamic range comparison at Low ISO

Dynamic Range Comparison at Low ISO

Comparing underexposed RAW files pushed up by a few stops. R5 +5 stops looks better than the 6D +4 stops, but worse than the 6D @ +3 stops. This suggests that the R5 has 1.5 stops more dynamic range than the 6D. (Note I did not use the +6 eV images for comparison, because the R5 raw noise reduction becomes too obnoxious at that setting.)

The 6D sensor is 10 years old. But its high ISO performance is only 0.5 stop behind the R5, and its dynamic range is only about 1.5 stops behind. I'm pointing this out because I feel like people have a tendency to grossly exaggerate the Noise & DR advantage the latest cameras have over the older ones.

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow