Stacking in-camera at 5.5x?!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
oneofone25
oneofone25 Senior Member • Posts: 1,248
Stacking in-camera at 5.5x?!

So, many of you have seen the images I have posted using the focus bracketing mode on my Olympus EM1 Mark III - utilizing the Olympus MC-20 teleconverter with the Olympus 60mm macro lens - how?  Using a 16mm KENKO or PIXCO brand 16mm extension tube slightly modified in 5 minutes to tether them together.  Then, you can attach your favorite Raynox macro filter on the 60mm macro lens to get anywhere from 4x magnification with the Raynox 150, 5.5x with the 250, 7.5x with the Raynox 202 and up to 9x with the Raynox 505 - maintaining the ability to focus bracket!

The depth of field at these magnifications though is definitely thin - and internal focus stacking to this point has been relatively pointless to try/do, as a bug head at minimum with the Raynox 250 takes a good 40-60 images at a 2/10 focus bracket mode to get most of it in focus.

However, where the internal focus bracketing can shine is with snowflake and frost photography.  This past weekend I used the Raynox 250 on my Olympus macro setup - getting my 5.5x magnification - and a field of view of about 3mm or a tad more.  I also used the Raynox 202 on two smaller snow crystals.

I set my focus bracket mode at 4/10 and even 5/10 while using these Raynox filters on my Olympus 60/MC-20 setup.  I then set the camera to stack the images to produce a stacked JPEG for me - as I wanted to see how it would work...

First, with the Raynox 250:

and this image cropped down some

then, with the 202 instead of the 505.  Remember - all with the internal focus stacking of the Olympus:

and then cropped down some with minimal editing:

this one was my favorite, even though out of focus as I love how soft the out of focus area is - the EM1 Mark III did so well with these focus stacks - not missing anything at 4/10 or 5/10 for focus bracketing.  The one thing is that the Raynox macro filters can actually do some to increase the depth of field...allowing the focus bracketing and stacking a little more give...

Open up the images full screen and take a look!

oneofone25's gear list:oneofone25's gear list
OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Samyang 16mm F2 +1 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow