Ext OVF on Mirrorless Cameras

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pat Whittingham
Pat Whittingham Regular Member • Posts: 228
Ext OVF on Mirrorless Cameras

M11 On a budget?

Thankfully the M11 is so expensive, I really won’t try to find a way to buy one. But I can appreciate the craftsmanship and precision of such a beautiful camera.

I recall years ago using a Sony RX1 with the Sony Zeiss 35mm OVF and continued to use it with the RX1R simultaneously with its pop-up EVF. This was not as effective as I expected because of the slow AF performance. But the concept had merit.

I scaled back my collection of lenses to a few primes and zooms to get the weight and size down to something I as a senior could manage. I tried the A7C but replaced it by a Fujifilm X100V rangefinder which I find enjoyable to use. This camera is a hybrid but the OVF is a bit dark and the image size smaller than I want. Luckily, I found another 35mm Sony Zeiss OVF and mounted it on the Fuji. Wow. Big, bright optical image and the camera AF is excellent. Easy to use the EVF and Zeiss together.

My prime camera is a Sony A7RIV A. One of my favorite lenses for landscape is a Sony 20mm f 1.8. B&H had a Zeiss 21mm OVF in stock. This would allow me to try the combination and return it if I was unhappy.

Bottom line, it is going nowhere. I am delighted to have the big, bright OVF for framing and the excellent AF performance of the A7RIV A to ensure centre focus. I can check the PB on the much improved LCD screen or OLED VF. The optical framing seems well suited to the Sony 20mm and the lens does not get in the way of the beautiful image.

These two cameras are my way to get some of the optical shooting experience of a Leica on a Sony or Fuji budget. Not for everyone I’m sure but it certainly is fun.

I looked for references to the concept and while the question was posed, I did not see any responses. Thought I would share my experience and see if others on the site have done the same and have any experience or advice to pass along.

Pat Whittingham's gear list:Pat Whittingham's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony RX100 VI Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X100V Sony a7R IVA +7 more
Sony RX1 Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow