Battle of sensors: Panasonic S1R@APS-C vs Fujifilm X-S10 (Bayer VS X-Trans)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PaulSnowcat
PaulSnowcat Senior Member • Posts: 1,310
Battle of sensors: Panasonic S1R@APS-C vs Fujifilm X-S10 (Bayer VS X-Trans)

I wanted to check sensor's difference between my cameras. I wanted to exclude the benefit S1R gains due to it's 47MP.

So I took an APS-C lens, use it in both cameras. The lens was Tamron 16-300/3.5-6.3, use on Fuji and on Panasonic via adapters. Both adapters do not have glass elements in them so nothing stands between the lens and the camera.

Here are the files. The File from S1R is not a resize, it is APS-C crop from the center.

This is S1R's result, green zones are places that will be at 100% crops.

This is the result from FUJI X-S10

I developed the files right after I took them and this is a view from my window so I could compare the prices with the actual view. Panasonic's colors are extremely close to reality. Fuji is less natural.

Yet, Panasonic auto exposure was 2/3 stops darker. To make the shots equally lighted I gave Panasonic's shot +0.7 Exposure.

Next - the crops. I expected them to be very similar... but...

First - The upper green rectangle zone:

Both pictures were developed with exactly the same parameters, except that exposure change I've managed earlier.

As you can see, Panasonic's sensor gives MUCH better sharpness. But that's not all, lets look at the second zone - a brick wall in the shadow.

As you can see, Fuji's X-Trans sensor almost eliminates small details in the shadows! The bricks are almost gone! It's like having a camera with really thick AA filter!

I've found these results to se interesting enough to share with you. I hope you find this to be interesting too.

Thanks for reading!

-- hide signature --
 PaulSnowcat's gear list:PaulSnowcat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Fujifilm X-S10 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow