Low Light and the Foveon

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 21,419
Low Light and the Foveon

I wonder how many posts there are about the Foveon that mention "low light" as a drawback to successful shots with a Foveon? But then, guess what, I wonder what "low light" is!

Well, I have an SD9 and the 17-50mm f /2.8, so what is the light value where I would need f/2.8 and the SD9's max shutter time of 16 sec?

That's value of -1EV which is quite dark, folks, a whopping 10 to 12 EV less than just after sunset !

Ignoring the red herring that -1EV is less than the SD9's metering and AF capability, I could theoretically shoot an average medium gray image (average of 118/255) and if the subject is a gray card ... with no blotching ... LOL.

There are two other red herrings:

Subject movement

Depth of field

However those two apply to any camera and would need to be quantified prior to credible discussion as to how they affect the Foveon any more than a Bayer.

What is "low light"? ...

-- hide signature --

It's all in the numbers ...

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +11 more
Sigma SD9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow