High ISO raws from the D5 and Z7

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 38,249
High ISO raws from the D5 and Z7

I posted some high-ISO raws from the D5 and Z7 a while back. They had similar, elemental processing. A question came up: could you tweak the noiser Z7 files with a bit more noise reduction, and come up with images that were simultaneously less noisy and sharper than the D5 images.

I said I didn't want to post results of that, since there was a lot of subjective judgement involved.

But I thought of a way to let you all try it.

I made bookcase images at ISO 6400 with both cameras with a Sigma ART 35 mm 1/1.4 lens set at f/4, with a shutter speed of 1/30 second. That is an ETTRish exposure. I made seven more image with each camera, each a stop faster in shutter speed, giving the equivalent of ISO 12800, 25K, 50K, 100K, 200K, 400K and (gulp) 800K. I can get away with this because both cameras are ISOless above ISO 6400.

I put the raw files in a shared Dropbox folder.

If anyone wants to downloads them, process them, and give us their opinion, please PM me your email address and I'll share the folder with you.

And I'd love to see some of the results of your tweaking posted in this thread!

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Leica Q2 Monochrom Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon Z9 +1 more
Nikon D5 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow