"Once you go Z, DSLRs are dead"

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Batdude
Batdude Veteran Member • Posts: 5,865
"Once you go Z, DSLRs are dead"

Naaaaaaaah. Some day DSLR will be dead, but not right away. Why?

During the last several weeks I have looking extensively into ALL mirrorless cameras out there, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Sony. They all have really nice stuff, BUT, I have learned quite a lot.

Each of those systems is not perfect, and mirrorless cameras are just starting to get better, and better, but some of the technology in it is still not perfected. The mirrorless system still needs time to grow in several aspects. I'm not going to mention every single aspect, just the things that I have noticed.

Lenses. Some of these camera makers don't have third party support for lenses, and who knows when that will happen. That alone is a deal breaker for many.

Battery life is another major issue. At least for me. I am a dual brand photographer and I currently have a BUNCH of little Fuji batteries that I have to charge every time. That is sooooooo annoying and irritating and frustrating. I have been looking into jumping to Sony for their newer A7IV and although I know the battery that's used in that camera is pretty good, I would still have to purchase extra batteries because I know for a fact one battery in a mirrorless camera ain't gonna cut it for work purposes out in the field. That is extra room and more weight that I have to deal with. One of my D4 batteries can last me all day. Huge difference there.

Another problem that I have noticed in mirrorless cameras is the EVF. Very recently I popped on a 70-180 lens on the Sony body and I got REALLY dizzy within seconds when using that focal range lens. The issue had to do with the EVF refresh rate and the Sony camera did have it set to low refresh rate and once changed to high the experienced did improve a lot, but, some of these EVF itself are "lower end" quality. So you are still not getting the best view for the best photography experience. Yes, if you are rich sure you can certainly buy yourself any camera from any brand at any price, but I'm not one of those people. So, it might take some years until you start getting those better components in lower end cameras. This issue will depend on each individual physical state and some most likely don't get affected by a so so EVF, but I certainly did.

I often have to photograph in different types of events indoor and outdoor so yes it looks like I really need a really good EVF to survive an all day shoot and if I don't most likely at the end of the day I will have headaches and might be throwing up. That's exactly how I felt by using an EVF while doing light panning from left to right and back & forth.

Prices have gone UP baby! Everything is more expensive specially native lenses. Canon's prices are insane. Really nice glass but those things are for rich people.

So, at this point in time I am holding to my D4 and to be honest I have been thinking that I will very likely upgrade to another DSLR until all of the above gets better. I had said that I wasn't and that I will not ever again buy another DSLR and yes I indeed prefer a mirrorless camera capability for the way I shoot, but after learning more and seeing the way things REALLY are I have changed my mind and I will keep an open mind regarding buying another DSLR. Hell, I might even buy a Pentax K1III if it ever comes out hahaha!

There are soooooooo many wonderful F mount lenses out there at amazing low prices is not even funny and I am starting to appreciate that a little more now. I mean, the reason why I never jumped to the Z system is because I have never wanted to get rid of my Nikkor 105 f2 DC. That's the truth. Why should I? What Nikkor Z lens replaces that, and at what price? Is ridiculous.

I know mirrorless are future, indeed, but there is nothing wrong in using older AF-D or AFS-G lenses. I am staying with my Fuji ML gear and will continue shooting along with my DSLR gear. I was this close into jumping to the Sony A7IV but I think I will wait a little longer. I don't buy new gear every year and If I'm going to spend $2500+ lenses for a new system I do demand longer battery life and better EVF performance and for $2500 I am not going to get that at this point in time. The EVF and refresh performance alone is one of the most important aspects of photography for me.

Thanks.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow