Good or bad move by Capture One?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MattPointZero
MattPointZero Senior Member • Posts: 1,716
Good or bad move by Capture One?

So the individual manufacturer licenses are being withdrawn, albeit with some softening of the blow for existing owners.

I can't help feel that C1 might be being a bit complacent here.  If you go back a couple of years before Lightroom had colour wheels and before it could handle Xtrans files well etc, C1 was around half the price it is now and offered some really distinct benefits (to go alongside the crashes, poor DAM, lousy NR or healing, poor plugin compatibility).  Their colour capability and layers features in particular were leaps and bounds ahead.

Although C1 is absolutely better than ever and has addressed a lot of the earlier issues, the gap is now smaller than ever between LR and C1, with each having a few clear winning attributes over the other.  LR has much better colour control than it used to, and the new selection and layer tools, especially subject and sky selection in Lr are absolutely phenomenal - way ahead of anyone else.

Tethering is still a clear winner for C1, if that's part of your workflow, and I get a lot of pro studios use it, largely I think because of the better tether and review set up.

But as it stands, LR has closed most gaps, moved clearly ahead in places, and is still under half the price of C1 AND includes PS on subscription.  Couple this with what I think many feel are a couple of underwhelming features making up the latest release, and C1 might find users below pro studio re-evaluating perhaps.  The whole new release was based on finally adding HDR and pano, which is nothing more than some long overdue catching up.

I could be bitter - I paid to upgrade my perpetual license and then shortly after I moved to Hasselblad, which C1 refuse to support, so my move back is forced.  But I din't think I'll be the only migrant.

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Sony a1 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow