Contemplating a return to Olympus

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GinaRothfels Regular Member • Posts: 348
Contemplating a return to Olympus

In approximately 2013 I bought the original OM-D E-M5. I still have that camera as well as the 12-50mm kit lens and a 40-150mm zoom (first version) but have rarely used them over the last few years after opting to replace the camera with a Canon M50 for daily use when the Olympus started to feel old and sluggish. At the time it felt like the right decision because of the larger sensor, giving me a higher resolution camera with better shallow depth of field as well as the ability to adapt the lenses from my Canon 80D DSLR. Plus the fact that Olympus cameras and lenses aren’t that easy to come by where I live.

When I bought the M50 I’d hoped that in time I would upgrade it to an M5 mark II, but Canon apparently have no plan to ever produce that camera. My only APSC upgrade option was the M6 mark II, a camera which doesn’t have a built in viewfinder, only one that clips into the hot-shoe. Before buying it I had considered returning to Olympus but decided against it because of the higher resolution sensor as well as talk of Canon’s autofocus being far superior. That and the EF-M lenses I’d already invested in.

I’ve always hated the clip-on viewfinder, which prevents me using the hot-shoe for flash while using the viewfinder. And recently my shaky hands are making me wish I’d chosen a camera with IBIS instead. So once more I’m contemplating a return to Olympus (probably E-M5 mark III) to use with longer lenses and the few cheap vintage lenses I’ve acquired since I bought my M50.

While trying to make the decision I’ve been experimenting with my old E-M5 and find that even the lesser stabilisation it provides is pretty impressive. I’d never have thought I was capable of shooting with a 50mm lens handheld using a 1/15 second shutter speed. Apparently with Olympus I can!

If I go ahead with the purchase I’m wondering whether to buy the body only or whether to buy one of the available kits - packaged with either a 14-150mm lens or a 12-200mm. The latter would come in handy for shooting birds, giving me the same reach I’ve been getting with my Canon EF-S 55-250mm, but it’s a little bigger than I’d like to carry around on a daily basis (I’m a small woman and not getting any younger). From what I’ve read, neither of the two lenses seem to be the best quality, and I’m not sure I really need them, but they would save me making too many lens changes and either comes out pretty cheap compared to buying body only, so I’m scared I’ll regret not getting one while they’re available at bargain price.

While I’m trying to decide, I’m experimenting with my original E-M5 but I suddenly realised that the firmware has never been updated. At the time I was too scared to do it, though I’ve since successfully updated the firmware on my Canon cameras without any difficulty. But they were never so out of date, and I’m not sure what’s required with such a major update to the Olympus. Is that firmware even still available?

Can anyone offer me any advice on the lenses as well as on updating the firmware on my old camera? (It’s still using version 1.2.) Unfortunately I can’t go to a shop to try out the lenses because the only place I can get them is the other end of the country.

Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon EOS M6 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow