Upgrading From Sony A7 II Series

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
firrae Junior Member • Posts: 28
Upgrading From Sony A7 II Series

Hi there,

I've been trying to figure out where I should be going from my A7 II and A7R II, both are cameras I've loved, but they are beginning to feel sluggish in auto focus for what I'm beginning to get into (mainly wildlife, airshow and event photography). They still do well for me in landscapes still, but the batteries are becoming a pain.

I've been looking at the newer Sony offerings, namely the A7 IV and A7R IV, though I'm not sure I would really get the most out of the new R series for what I do. The key things I'm looking for are better auto focus and tracking. I've lightly looked at Nikon's new mirrorless offerings, but I'm not sure I can afford a full swap to Nikon, and I'm not sure if it'd be worth it. It seems Sony has Sigma, Tamron, and others making lenses on the E mount platform which means there's usually something useful and affordable in almost every range. Nikon doesn't seem to have that, but maybe I'm wrong. I haven't really dove in to Canon much to see what they've built out.

I'm not a pro, and I would be willing to do a brand swap if someone can make a compelling reason (I don't have a ton of lenses, but I would want to match what I do have), but I'm unsure where I should go at this point so opinions and pointers are appreciated.

Current Kit:

• Sony A7 II
  • Sony A7R II (planning to consolidate down to a single camera)
  • Sony 24-240mm (looking at swapping this to a Sony 24-105 f/4 and getting a separate good zoom if I stay Sony, otherwise I'm unsure)
  • Sony/Zeiss 55mm
  • More batteries than I can count and none charge to "full" anymore
  • I have access to other lenses as needed, but looking to add more primes

TLDR: I'm looking to move from my Sony A7 series cameras to a single newer camera with better/faster AF and tracking. Willing to swap brands if needed, but looking for opinions on what the best option for my use case might be. (event, wildlife, airshow, and the odd portrait)

firrae's gear list:firrae's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Sony a7 Sony a7 II Sony a7R Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow