My 6th year with Panasonic GX8

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,315
My 6th year with Panasonic GX8

Time flies! I purchased my GX8 in the late summer of 2016 mostly for nature photography. My primary lens is Panasonic-Leica 100-400mm, with occasional use from Lumix G 12-60mm, 45-150mm, and Panasonic Leica 45mm Macro.

I thought I would share some favorite photographs, with some comments as to why I still like this camera - just in case anyone might be considering picking up a used one.

For scenes like this I often hold the camera between waist and chest level using the LCD to frame. My hand fits the camera grip nicely,which i a nice plus for me, since my GX7 grip is not so accommodating to my hand.

I  find the camera's AF to be very accurate.

Sometimes I use AF + MF with the 10x magnification

The tilt up viewfinder is very handy when holding the camera low, or when kneeling, to frame directly in to the scene, rather than pointing the camera down.

Color - with an interest in botany, I'm very happy with how the camera records colors of flowers, since I want to document the flower accurately.

The macro lens has long throw focusing (many turns of the ring to move the elements). Another good use of the camera's AF + MF to quickly get close to the subject, then fine tune the the focusing; here, on the margin hairs of this scarlet sage. Tilting EVF a big help.

The camera provides more customization than I'll ever use! Having several Custom Modes along with many custom buttons provides me quick access to any features I need without having to go into the menu. Except to format, and the camera "remembers" the last menu item accessed, so it's one click to get to 'Format.'

I use C1 Mode for normal use. Any changes for a scene (Aperture, ISO, WB, etc) revert back to my default settings on next power up.

I'll configure other C modes  for specific situations (Tripod with stabilizer OFF; Auto ISO, AWB, etc). They become the "defaults" for that mode.

I've "memorized"  layout of the buttons so that I can quickly access them.

The flip-out screen is very handy when photographing low the ground using vertical orientation. (a minor complaint with my GX7)

I use Electronic Shutter by default, thus, not much wear at all on the Mechanical Shutter.

Compared to the GX7, the GX8 provides me DUAL IS (helpful with the long lens) and 20mpx for more cropping with wildlife.

Dislikes? Nothing major. Nice to have would be

• Configuring the Video Button as a custom button (I don't use video)
  • Card slot on the outside edge of the battery compartment (as in the GX7) for easier card removal
  • Built-in flash (as with the GX7) although I rarely use flash with this camera

Although newer camera models have lots of interesting features, I've not been tempted to change, and am expecting continuing pleasure in using the GX8.

- Richard

-- hide signature --
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow