CarePAK (Warranty) Options

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 8,298
CarePAK (Warranty) Options

Now that I've bought my R5, I've been musing over the CarePAK extended warranty. Canon offers it for $187 for two years and $337 for four years.

First, I noted that the plans aren't really two and four years, they are inclusive of the existing one-year warranty. The two-year warranty adds one year, not two years. However, CarePAK adds accidental damage coverage to both years, and the original one year warranty doesn't include accidental damage.

Second, I checked my Chase credit card coverage, and they showed me in writing that my Chase card includes an additional year of warranty coverage, even though I bought the camera as Canon refurbished. And, Chase mentions: If You received or purchased any other applicable extended warranty when You purchased Your item, this benefit will be supplemental to and in excess of that coverage. But, the Chase coverage applies to warranties of three years or less. If I buy the $187, I can get two years extended to three years, but if I buy the $337, I will not get the four years extended to five.

To make sure I have the Chase card warranty, I downloaded the receipt from Canon, the warranty statement from Canon, the T&C's from Chase and my billing statement from Chase with the camera purchase. I'll need all of that in case I need to file a claim with Chase.

Third, I'm not concerned about accidental damage, because I have a rider on my home insurance policy specifically for my camera equipment, and that covers loss and damage. So I'm only concerned about the camera breaking. And the insurance rider is cheap!

Fourth, I've never had a Canon product break. Ever. Six bodies, ten lenses, dust caps, you name it, the stuff has never broken.

But I'm still stumped: Should I spend the $187, the $337 or nothing? What do you folks think?

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +3 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow