Z9 BIF

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bobby V
Bobby V Senior Member • Posts: 1,545
Z9 BIF

Hi all,

I got my Z9 last week and I was excited to put it to the test, but unfortunately the air has been quite foggy, dark and the air somewhat polluted where I am. Wildlife opportunities were sparse and challenging at some of my normal spots, but I was still able to get some quality time with it.

I am currently working on a review that I hope to post on my website. I definitely need more time with it and better BIF opportunities, but what I can say is this: this is easily the best camera I've ever used for BIF, and it's not even close. I've been using the 100-400 Z with and without the 1.4x TC, which I must admit is a bit dark and short for small, skittish, and flying birds, but so far it definitely seems like a versatile optic for good light conditions.

In this sequence with a goose F/8, every single photo was in focus (forgive the poor gif quality/compression), and not once did it shift to the busy background. This wasn't just a fluke, it's the normal experience. I find this quite impressive, especially with a teleconverter shooting at F/8.

It's not just the autofocus which is impressive, it's the viewfinder implementation - I have used/tried other stacked sensor cameras but they each have some blackout when you initiate the burst. The Z9 does not and this a major advantage in my view for this type of work

I suggest that anyone receiving the camera for the first time to spend time learning the settings trying different things. It is really important to dial it in - the AF modes are completely brand new in a lot of ways.

Cheers

-- hide signature --
Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow