Shooting in very cold temp with EOS R ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Darmouthz New Member • Posts: 14
Shooting in very cold temp with EOS R ?

I’m a Canadian photographer/videographer. I’ve been shooting outdoors during the winter for a good part of my life, without much issue.

I’M thinking of switching from my trustee 1DX MKII to CanonR5(c) and wanted to know about your experiences shooting in the cold ? And by cold I mean -30, -40 Celsius (-22 °F).

I’ve shot both video and photo at this temperature for a good part of winter last year. I never had any real problem with the 1DX. But I did have some trouble shooting with the C70… The screen would become very “laggy” (frozen LCD), not unusable, but far from ideal and I wonder if it would still work after 4+ hours. The problem was less apparent on the C200 for some reason (the screen is thicker).

Now I wanted to learn about your experiences shooting still and videos in this kind of cold weather with the Canon R5 or similar camera. Being a mirrorless, I’m not sure how the EVF will behave.

Any comments, thoughts and advice on shooting in arctic like temperature with mirrorless cameras?

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow