Anyone else using the Tamron 70-300 lens?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stan in NH
Stan in NH Senior Member • Posts: 1,862
Anyone else using the Tamron 70-300 lens?

I bought the e-mount Tamron 70-300 a while ago, and have used it on my A7RlV.  It's not stabilized, so it depends on IBIS to get by.  After trying to like this lens for a few months, I think I'm about ready to dump it.  Many, many issues which combine to yield a keeper rate of near zero.

This lens does not seem to work very well with the IBIS on my R4.  I really have to increase shutter speeds to eliminate motion blur, which results in higher ISO values than I would normally use.  All my images seem very soft, and I'm seeing objectionable chromatic aberration around bright edges.  I shoot a lot of wildlife, and white Egrets in particular all have a nice bluish halo around them.  I usually take my Sigma 100-400 or Sony 200-600 on wildlife shoots, but was hoping the much lighter Tamron would work as a decent carry lens.  I find I can no longer use this lens at all.

Before dumping it, I decided to send it back to Tamron wondering if I had a bad or defective sample of this lens.  I just got an email back telling me they found nothing wrong with my lens, and no repairs would be done.  I sent back a picture of an Egret showing the color fringing.  If they say that is normal, I will officially give up on this lens.

Has anyone here had good luck with this lens?  I still believe there is something wrong with it … I just can’t believe Tamron would produce such a poor product.

Stan in NH's gear list:Stan in NH's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony a7R IV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow