B&W Negative Inversions to Digital

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
carltj Regular Member • Posts: 159
B&W Negative Inversions to Digital

OK, the method I will share is very primitive and the results would not please many of the way more perfectionist habitues of this forum.  That said, the method is simple, yields results acceptable for 60 year old family snapshots, and uses gear I already have.

My light source is my cell phone.  Take a shot of a white sheet of paper in sunlight and process it in the phone to desaturate and kick the brightness of the display way up. Lay it flat.   Hold the 35 mm negative against the phone screen with two fingers.  I have a Canon R5 which is FF and shoot at ISO 2-3000, using a Sigma 50mm 1:1 macro lens pointed straight down toward the negative.  The narrow lens shade rests lightly against my finger.  The high ISO enables fast shots with a forgiving depth of field.  The 35 mm negative almost fills the viewfinder.

First pass of the Raw in edit is thru DXO PL4 Prime noise reduction and standard preset.  I export as jpgs and bring them into PS for Invert. Then hit Color Tone adjustment and B&W tweaks. Levels to suit.  Done.

I have ordered a negative holder from Amazon for $9.  When that arrives I will further up my game by using my tripod.

BTW method also works well for color slides.  The results are much better than shooting 60 year old prints and working from there.  It's fast.  And, the price is right.

Carl

carltj's gear list:carltj's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow