Downsizing lens arsenal - thoughts, please.

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lighthunter80
lighthunter80 Contributing Member • Posts: 904
Downsizing lens arsenal - thoughts, please.

Guys, happy new year!

I am contemplating downsizing my lens arsenal. Our first child was born in July 2021 and I don't see myself hauling my two Canon L zooms and three Sigma Art primes any time soon on vacation or even a short trip. It was ok when I was travelling alone with my wife but no longer with the little bub.

Here is what I have to date:

• Canon EOS R body (with standard RF/EF adaptor)
  • Canon EF 70-200/2.8 II L IS
  • Canon EF 16-35/4.0 L IS
  • Sigma Art 24/1.4
  • Sigma Art 35/1.4
  • Sigma Art 50/1.4

All those lenses are fantastic and I am not complaining about image quality whatsoever.

My train of thought:

• Sell the 70-200 L which I love and it's in pristine condition but simply too heavy and long on the R with the adaptor.
  • Sell the Sigma Art 24 and 50mm as I became a 35mm guy and could live with that one lens alone if I had to (had it on a Europe trip as my only lens and no issues).
  • The 16-35 L is a tough one as I love this lens and its quality. It's also not that big or heavy to warrant replacing it.

Depending on what I sell, I am thinking to replace it with the following:

• Eventually, get the new RF 14-35/4.0 L IS but it's so expensive... have to think hard but it would be my bread and butter lens.
  • Get the new Sigma RF 35 Art if they release one - rumours say Simga is working on RF lenses for this year; I also reached out to Sigma Australia and their vague response confirmed this rumour when reading between the lines if I am not mistaken. This would then mean to sell my EF 35 Art.
  • Get the RF 70-200/4.0 L IS due to size and weight benefit.

In an ideal scenario, if Sigma issues an RF 35 Art, I would end up with only native RF lenses and could get rid of the RF//EF adaptor. Otherwise, I would leave the adaptor permanently attached to the old EF 35 Art.

My shooting style is rather slow and I would also consider the RF 85/2.0 instead of the expensive 70-200 zoom.

Thoughts?

lighthunter80's gear list:lighthunter80's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow