Building a Portfolio - Free Photography - Why do we shoot?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MMitchellorg Contributing Member • Posts: 512
Building a Portfolio - Free Photography - Why do we shoot?

I've been shooting on and off for about 10 years investing in different kits and systems and then selling them when I stop shooting. I started shooting when I was in college but then I started working in media and never really went into anything professional. I've been paid for gigs in the past for both photography and video.

Now I'm at a point with photography where I find myself going out to take photos and enjoying them sometimes even printing them but not really doing anything with them. I even barely post them online. I think what would really satisfy my photography needs is to work for a client but of course I don't have a portfolio for that nor do I believe any of my older photos would work to grab the attention of a good be client.

Also I should mention, I'm not really a guy for self promotion or marketing. I don't really want to go out there and tell everyone how great I am.

I'd like to shoot maybe for free for a year or so and gather portfolio it's not really about the money for me it's mostly about having a reason to shoot. Currently I'm on the medium format GFX system. I'm shooting with a standard zoom and a decent lens for portraits.

Again, it's really not about the money but for exposure and to give me something to shoot, I'm looking for a purpose in all of this.

Edit: Forgot to ask, where should I be posting to get new clients especially interested in some free photography and editing?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow