Why do P, S, A, M modes even exist these days?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Zinch Contributing Member • Posts: 752
Why do P, S, A, M modes even exist these days?

Hi,

One of the things I apreciate more from my Fuji camera is the lack of a mode dial. Instead, the camera is always in a super manual mode. I think it's a lot more intuitive this way: if you are in "aperture priority" and want to change the shutter speed to a certain value, why on earth do you have to change the mode dial first on other cameras? It's completely unnatural to me. Just change the corresponding dial  from "auto" to the value.

Afaik, only Canon offers this option in its Fv mode. It's a little clumsy to operate, but at least they are trying...

I know, a mode dial let's you choose user defined modes (C1-C4 in the X-S10, for example), but you could have even more of those modes if you only had a SM (Super Manual) mode instead of the usual PASM modes cluggering the dial.

I think Fuji could implement this (a mode dial but only with a SM, C1-C4 and video options) to their "nonlabeled dials" cameras. They would operate different than the other brands and more similar to their "labeled dials" ones.

Thoughts?

Zinch's gear list:Zinch's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS WR +2 more
Fujifilm X-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
rlx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow