Full Frame Sony/Cannon choice

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sailing_Dave New Member • Posts: 19
Full Frame Sony/Cannon choice

I have a selection of Sony A-mount (Sigma) lens working with an SLT 77 (24Mpx APS-C sensor) - I got here from a Minolta film background!  This gear is getting tired and difficult to replace. I like the mirrorless aspect and some of the photos I take with it are quite good IMO.  I do sometimes feel let down by noise and lack of definition and I have a nasty habit of shooting wide and cropping afterwards when I cant make up my mind on composition.  I can print up to A3+ and sometimes do with a Cannon Pixma PRO-1.

I want to go Full Frame because of quality and improve the glass I use.  My last replacement lens (Sigma 17-50 replacing broken 17-70)  brought home the difference that makes. I have "come into some money" and I am contemplating a leap up the equipment ladder.

Most recent photo adventures have been a wedding, safari, street photography and landscape/seascape. I have dabbled a little in studio still life and would like to try portrait. Video is desirable capability for reading bedtime stories for grandchildren to watch but quality is not of the essence.

My gear goes yachting and walking with me. I change lenses frequently and have found dust on the sensor a pain though I am not sure any kit is better than any other in this respect.

I make quite a lot of use of the LCD screen on the SLT77 when shoot at low level, over my head and using a remote when I am in front of the camera.

I am upset with Sony for dumping the A-mount so initially discounted them in a fit of peek. Having calmed down I would consider them now.  I have never used a Cannon and my only experience of Nikon is an AW130 for in water/beach pictures.  The latter works well but is a pain to use both in terms of getting pictures off it and using a screen for composition in sunlight.

So here is the question should I go for a Cannon R5 or Sony A7R IV?

I can stretch to a body + 3 x zoom lens (14-35, 24-105, 100-400) plus 2 spare batteries, new flashgun, couple of high capacity SD cards and a remote.  This is all in Cannon gear terms but similar Sony gear is available.

I have been toying with this problem for a while and will continue to do so as the stock is not available at the moment but would welcome any advice.

Sailing_Dave's gear list:Sailing_Dave's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Canon EOS R5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 70-200 F2.8 DG OS HSM +4 more
Canon EOS R5 Nikon Coolpix AW130 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow