HIGH ISO COMPARISON: ** Z6 vs. Z7 ** (4,000 - 25,600) Real-World Setting

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
FrankG Senior Member • Posts: 2,550
Re: Z6 vs. Z7 Images @ 16,000 ISO ...

RazorSharpWO wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

I use PL5. When you open a RAW, it applies default NR and sharpening to file. If you not disable those manually, TIFF is not same as plain RAW conversion. anymore. But there are other issues. RAW is the digital original. PL allows you to work fully with that in many aspects, including various masking tools, like those for shadow recovery, in which the Z7 is the best Nikon currently. I’ll look into the TIFs, but my guess they are already edited under at least default settings.

Sorry if that's the case.

My thinking was, what I normally do is import with Lightroom. However, Lightroom bakes-in Nikon Z-specific alterations by default. I don't know how to turn these off.

So what I did was, I import them into Photolab, instead, which I didn't think actually applied any baked -in values, just documents the existing values inherent in the raw files. From Photolab, I thought the images were unfettered, which I then exported to TIF files, which are what I uploaded on the Dropbox.

I don't know if the software applied anything, or not, but I assure you I made zero adjustments in this on purpose. My purpose is to try to find the truth, so if I made a mistake, I'll have to do otherwise in the next test.

Sorry to say this but it sounds like you made a serious mistake.  Maybe!

If you opened the original NEF files in Photolab and then exported them as TIFFs without turning any settings off in Photolab (if that is what you meant by "I made zero adjustments") - then what you would have in the TIFF files is the result of Photolab's default processing for the files.

So let's look at what those basic default settings would have included:

- demosaicing (always a part of processing RAW files, cannot be turned off)

- DXO Smart Lighting

- Vignetting correction

- Colour rendering (camera default rendering, auto set at 100)

- RAW White Balance (auto)

- Chromatic Aberration Correction (auto:  Intensity 100, Size 4)

- DXO Denoising Technologies (High Quality, level at 40)

Either of:

- Lens Sharpness (if DXO recognised the lens used)

OR

- Unsharp Mask (Intensity 100, Radius 0.5, Threshold 4) (if DXO didn't recognise the lens used)

- Crop (auto - applies as to suit distortion correction if applied)

- Distortion correction (auto)

Of course any or all of the above (and indeed any other optional settings) can be turned  off or modified as required.

So, question, did you actively turn these off by deselecting them or did you leave them turned on as defaults?

Because if you did leave them turned on them what you have done in your subsequent process in Lightroom is to apply processing on top of baked in default DXO processing and I'm afraid your supplied TIFF files would be effectively useless for any attempt at evaluation by others.

Which is a pretty big "ouch"!

It's a pity you didn't retain the original RAW files, they could have been useful.

Frank

FrankG's gear list:FrankG's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z9
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow