Shooting style (and finding the best tools for the new job)

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marfinites
Marfinites Junior Member • Posts: 32
Shooting style (and finding the best tools for the new job)

Hello! I’ll be starting to shoot events internationally and I need a compact & good camera to do it.

I've used some rented sony alpha series cams, but I usually shoot with a Panasonic G7 (yep, still alive, still rocking). I pair it with metabones, rokinon 24, 35, 85 and a tamron 70-200mm.

I'm really used to working with a tripod. I don't enjoy carrying the camera around the whole day and I like to hold some shots that might need a bit more patience to get the desired action going, etc.

This new line of work that I'll be working with is a bit different from what I've been doing. I'll have to handle the space issue (because I'll almost always be traveling). And I'm sure the a7s III is the best for the job (but I can use any brand, if that suits the job better, so feel free to test this claim). I usually don't use a cage. My "cage is the tripod". That's where bulkiness and stability come from.

I've been searching for the best lenses, filters, cages & other equipment. And I have some questions:

1- I'm really fond of tripods, but I wouldn't mind having a monopod that could stand some weight on himself. Would you recommend any? (you can also tell me to just drop the tripod)

2- Does a cage makes sense if I'm trying to have the least possible weight on me while travelling and run and gun?

3- I love the 70-200. Love how I can be with subjects that wouldn't feel so comfortable in the image if I was really close to them. Stick with that sort of heavy lens or try and find a lighter option? What lens would you recommend? I'm already spamming a lot, so I'll stop the questions!

Thank you so much in advance for your help. Hope the text wasn't too confusing!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Sony a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow