Editing

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Jocksa
Jocksa Senior Member • Posts: 1,197
Re: Editing

My view is that you're missing an essential part of the photo creation process if you don't have editing software. It allows you to take photographs with a full "capture to publish" plan in place. For example, a sunset with the bright sky in the image will tend to burn out slightly if left to the camera to find the best average exposure, but knowing that you can lift the shadows later, you can dial in some under exposure as part of your plan for the finished image to retain the detail in the sky.

This isn't a great example, and done quickly just to explain the point.

This is a shot I took and this is how the camera would have exposed it left to its own devices

I could darken the whole image to improve the front of the building and the sky, but the left of the building and the grass would start to get too dark

The sun was setting and very directional but there was some detail in the sky so I deliberately underexposed...

...knowing that in Lightroom, provided I hadn't clipped anything, I could edit the image into something that looked like the real thing did.

I'm sure you can do similar things in-camera, but not to the same degree.

The view I take is that Lightroom and Photoshop are £10 per month but they are as important to my images as my camera gear. I used to spend more than £10 a month on film, paper and chemicals.

-- hide signature --

“Stand in front of something more interesting.”

Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow