RF 14-35 and cropping

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stein Rune Risa Junior Member • Posts: 34
RF 14-35 and cropping

I am looking for a ultra wide lens for landscape photography. I am most interested in the wide part.

My camera is an R6.

My options are the RF 14-35, RF 15-35 and Sigma 14-24 Art.

I read a lot of review about the Sigma 14-24, and everyone was very exited. This was until I saw that there was a clear difference between the "DG DN" and "DG HSM" version of this lens. The DG DN (for mirrorless) was clearly better, and unfortunately there is no Sigma lenses for R mount yet. In addition, the filter options are not the easiest - due to the lack of threaded mounting.

So it really comes down to RF 14-35 and RF 15-35. The RF 14-35 is wider, (much) cheaper and lighter and based on what I have read, it is actually sharper than RF 15-35 - maybe with the exception of 35 mm (which I am not needing anyway).

The only issue I have seen with the 14-35 is that the uncorrected image has mechanical vignetting with dark corners, which are corrected in camera or by lens profiles in e.g. Lightroom. It also has distortion that is corrected.

So to my question:

I understand that the correction of mechanical vignetting involves some cropping to remove the dark corners. But does this mean that it actually is not 14 mm? Or is it really "wider than 14 mm" and the cropping takes it down to 14 mm? Will I get the picture that I frame in my viewfinder - or will it be somewhat cropped?

Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 14-35mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow