Shooting Youth Theatre Stage Productions

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rla1022 Regular Member • Posts: 493
Shooting Youth Theatre Stage Productions

Couple of questions that I hope someone can point out and answer when you have time. I shot some shots last week before the VID postponed the production , but most came out dark because I would be focused on someone's face but then the focus would jump or lighting changed. I have the following lenses. XF18-55, XF 50-200, Viltrox 85 and XF 35. I had the 85 on the Pro 3 and my old XC 55-230 on the XT2. Would love any pointers.

1. Exposure Metering and Face Detect

I was going through some stuff to practice some theatre shots for my daughters performance this coming week. I noticed that there is a gold square around the photometry options. After doing some digging it seems that Face and Eye detect is attached to Spot Focus I only found a few google videos that confirm that. This will be the first show i get to shoot since November 2019 and I had an a6000 and 18-105 at the time. Any pointers on the best settings for focus and exposure would be great.

2. White Balance. These kids do some crazy stuff with lighting that really destroys skin tones , think a crazy blue wash or a weird yellow wash. It seems to through white balance for a loop. I had used a few different recipes that have shifts and that seems to make things worse, think Auto , -2B, +2R type stuff. If auto is judging the scene and ITS ALL YELLOW , then making the shift to attempt a gray shift... should I just leave off the shift?

3. Clarity - on the Xpro 3 and cameras with clarity , is 0 = truly no clarity adjustment or do the xtrans 4 cameras apply a baseline and 0 is that baseline and you add or subtract from that baseline. Images from the XT2 with identical settings (exception clarity) seem slightly crispy and but adjusting the clarity in lightroom a similar result can be obtained by tweaking clarity in Lightroom.

rla1022's gear list:rla1022's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX9 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow