Makeshift macro lens from any lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
mermaidkiller Senior Member • Posts: 1,382
Makeshift macro lens from any lens

Using an EOS R6, an EF 50mm compact macro (but limited macro), DIY reversal ring and DIY extension tube I can reach nice macro. Particularly when you use focus stacking.
The reversal ring is a 52mm filter ring glued to an EF rear lens cap with a hole in it and the extension tube is a 50mm long 40mm diameter PVC tube glued to a body cap and a rear lens cap, both with a hole. I made these adapters long ago, when I got the 40d and found them in a box with old gear.
But the R6 (and any mirrorless) facilitates using this setup greatly as the EVF image is much brighter.
I tested it with fully open aperture (which is default) and with f/11 (mount lens, press and hold the DOF button and the dismount button at the same time and unmount the lens). This keeps the aperture ring 'frozen' set in the aperture set by the camera. On a mirrored DSLR this results in a very dark image, but on a MILF like the R6 the VF image is still OK.
I set the camera in burst mode with electronic shutter, set to Tv 1/125 of 1/250 and held the shutter release button down while moving the camera slowly towards the object.
Then I stacked the images using Affinity Photo (Focus stacking) and got these results.

Any lens between 35 and 100mm can be used, including non-macro lenses.

The setup used: body => RF-EF adapter => DIY extension tube => DIY reversal adapter => lens
This allows up to 1:2.8 (measured image width 13mm). Normally this lens is 'only' 1:0.5 (i.e. 72mm width).

Candle wick: Stacked full aperture f/2.5

Same candle wick: Stacked, lens squeezed to f/11.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d ... r6

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS R6 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +5 more
Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow