Lightroom Classic Catalog and Photos on External Drive--Bad Idea?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Xbot Regular Member • Posts: 112
Lightroom Classic Catalog and Photos on External Drive--Bad Idea?

I've done some searching on forums and online, but I'm still pretty ignorant about this.

Is it feasible to use a large capacity external drive to store both original photos (about 70K) as well as the lightroom classic catalog itself and associated previews so that I can edit back and forth between a laptop and desktop? (All of this would be backed up on two other rotated drives).

Why? Well, I used to do all of my editing on the desktop, but over the last few years my wife has 'taken it over' for her work (non-photo related) and so I've done editing on a laptop, then "Export This Folder As a Catalog" to move everything downstairs for storage. But, anytime I want to go look at old images in the catalog, that means I have to wait for her to get off the computer since I don't keep anything on the laptop.

With a large catalog of images (70K) I don't have space on the laptop to store all the previews and catalog, even if the photos themselves were on an external drive. So, if I want the entire catalog available, it looks like I might need the catalog and previews on the external drive as well.

Both computers are PCs with latest Windows--laptop a newer Dell XPS 9500; the desktop an old but still working fine and up to snuff self-built set up.  It's about 1TB in images, plus 150+GB in previews.

I know it's common to have the images themselves on an external drive with the catalog and associated previews on an internal drive. But, does anyone work with everything--catalog, previews and images--on an external drive? Are there technical challenges with doing this? It's almost all photo--very little video--so my impression is that any USB 3 drive would be fast enough, but I could be wrong about that.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow