Falconry and my Z9

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dbltfarmer
Dbltfarmer Senior Member • Posts: 1,283
Falconry and my Z9

This morning I got a call from some Falconers to take them around to some playas and stock ponds to hunt ducks and other waterfowl. They are in Lubbock for a meet. Problem is we are in the middle of a drought and very few of the lakes in the rural areas have water in them. Keep in mind these are small ponds that don't hold a great deal of water but we are on the migration route in the middle of the country.  I knew they were coming but thought it would be later in theday.

These folks come out from all over the state and when they host national meets all over the country. I got started helping them and working with them about 4 or 5 years ago during their national meet.

Anyway, I saw this as an opportunity to try the Z9 out with the Peregrine Falcons while hunting. I used the 500pf as I knew there would be some distance.   Probably should have used my 70-200 S as most shots were close.  I didn't know how many shots I would get or how challenging it would be. The first pond we went to there were no ducks or waterfowl. The next pond we hit paydirt.

Before I go on, the land in West Texas is very flat and there are very few obstacles you can hide behind so I didn't actually get to see the falcon hit the duck in the air.  You can't get too close or you will scare the game.  You just have to let the falcon hunt and hope that you get a chance for some good shots.  They don't fly very long before they go after their prey.

Also I wanted to try and show my experience shooting the Z9. This was a unique experience and didn't get as many shots as I wanted but I had only 10 to 15 minutes of flight time to watch with two birds.

A Peregrine Falcon just about to hunt.

This image was taken just a few moments after she took off.

Turn around 360 degrees and the land around this pond just to the right is all the same.

The next shots are every other image in a 12 burst shot shooting 15 fps. I had the camera set in Wide S AF and I was surprised at how well the camera focused with the obstacles.

After the Falcon knocked the Mallard out of the air, she jumped on the mallard and the mallard tried to drag the falcon to the water.

The Falcon still wants his kill which is a Mallard Duck.

The second falcon that flew. She did not get a kill.

Dbltfarmer's gear list:Dbltfarmer's gear list
Nikon Z9 Nikon Z6 II Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +9 more
Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow