White-throated dippers (300mm f4) + suggestions requested

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marko_Finland
Marko_Finland Senior Member • Posts: 1,298
White-throated dippers (300mm f4) + suggestions requested

Home alone this weekend so thought I'd make good use of the time and go and find some dippers that arrived to Helsinki area for the winter from further north.

They are among my favorite birds to shoot but at the same time a bit of pain as well. Their plumage is mostly dark brown but with a bright throat area. The surroundings are also mostly bright, snow or water. You cannot really expose the dark plumage correctly as you risk blowing the highlights/whites. I usually ETTR as much as possible but end up with too noisy darks which is not helped by having to lift shadows in processing. Deepprime helps a bit but leaves details quite rough.

Any suggestions on how to optimize output in these type of situations either when shooting or with processing?

Few example shots from the weekend below. I'm overall not too unhappy with some of the shots at least without pixel peeping but still would not mind being able to improve things a bit.

Marko

Marko_Finland's gear list:Marko_Finland's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow