*** Challenge 327: Results ***

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jocksa
Jocksa Senior Member • Posts: 1,197
*** Challenge 327: Results ***

Firstly, thanks to all who entered and in doing so made it so much fun to run the challenge.

I was a bit torn when judging this one because normally I'm just looking for what I consider to be the best photograph but this time I felt it should be the best conversion to B&W: in some cases, I must confess, I found myself preferring the colour version.

So the honourable mentions go to:

Firstly Christanne's shadow and stairs. So much better in black and white, in my opinion. It would have been a contender but it was entered as exhibit only. If it were my picture, I would have cropped out the grass as everything else is engineered, hard and linear, whereas it's organic and soft.

Next is I Beam with Saunter. I'm not sure whether it's the conversion to B&W, or that there is a vignette added but the B&W version focuses my eye so much more on the people than the colour version and in that regard I find it much more pleasing.

Next is Bathgate's Mt. Tom. Who doesn't love an Ansel Adams style landscape. I love the mountains and I love black and white photography so I'm not sure there's much more I can say about this. If I was being hyper critical I would have liked Mt Tom to be fractionally closer to the centre so we could see more of the decending right ridge and less of the peak partially captured on the left hand side of the picture, but there may have been something unphotogenic to the right that prevented this.

And finally, before announcing the winner, it's mjevans' Fishermans huts and old steel works, Redcar. That industrial looking thing to the left of the picture is the Redcar blast furnace, the biggest in Europe when it was built and part of the Teeside steelworks. My first job on leaving university in the late 80s was at British Steel Teeside so this had an immediate draw.

However, that is not why I chose this. The subject matter - wild landscape, huts, industry and stormy sky are perfect for B&W. It really needs to be viewed at full screen to appreciate. I would have increased the contrast to a really hard grade IV or V (in old money) to emphasise the grittiness of the subject but I accept that it's a subjective look that doesn't appeal to all.

And so finally to the winner: Bathgate's Bodie. Again, wild landscape, dilapidation, interesting sky - all perfect for B&W.  Again, I would have increased to contrast but again it's a taste thing. Well done and the honour of hosting the next challenge is yours

-- hide signature --

“Stand in front of something more interesting.”

Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow