What fixed 2.8 (or brighter) versatile zoom for Canon 90d do you recommend?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
maboleth Contributing Member • Posts: 830
What fixed 2.8 (or brighter) versatile zoom for Canon 90d do you recommend?

During my 7D/mk2 days, I used Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-VC lens. It was super sharp, extremely compact and I have made some fantastic images with it. It's probably the lens I knew the most about it, all ups and downs.

Sadly, my cat rolled it from the table to the floor and it just broke beyond repair (would cost more than a new one). But at least it served me so well and repaid itself at least 100x to that end. It's out of production and I don't know how would it pair with Canon 90d nor if there are equally good but less noisy AF zooms out there?

Then, there's Sigma 17-50 f2.8. Like Tamron 17-50, it's sadly discontinued as of today.

I know nothing of Sigma 17-50, but I've seen some very nice images and people generally praise the lens, Currently, this is my main candidate.

There's Canon 17-55 f2.8 EF-S. Never used it, not sure if it's discontinued or not now? At the time I had 7D cameras, it was 2-3x more expensive than Tamron so it was out of the question.

Next, I've found very interesting but somehow focally limited lens Sigma 18-35mm f1.8. I wouldn't mind the 35mm end, but that 18mm seems too low, I think 17mm is the minimum I would use. In my experience, having enough of wide angle is never enough for versatile all-around zooms.
However, this is very interesting lens, still in production and I could see it for portrait use and other stuff. Except minimal focal range, the main disadvantage is the size - 800g is just too damn heavy. But that f1.8 is oh, one of a kind lens.

So to sum it all, what do you guys use or suggest, for a bright, fixed aperture all around zoom for high-performance 32mpx cropped sensor?

Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Sigma 17-50 f2.8
Canon 17-55 f2.8
Sigma 18-35 f1.8

Feel free to suggest another one if I forgot to check. Thanks in advance.

maboleth's gear list:maboleth's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 90D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow