Would you recommend moving to Z platform

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Taclus New Member • Posts: 4
Would you recommend moving to Z platform

Hi,

I am a long time Nikon shooter, starting with the D70 before going full frame with the d700 in 2008.

I not only love the images I am able to produce with my d700, but importantly the ergonomics of the camera just work for me. It fits my hand well and I enjoy using it. The same cannot be said for my Sony A7 i  that I bought when it came out. At the time I had a new born and I needed a lighter set up so sold a lot of my Nikon glass to fund the switch (including my beloved 14-24).  However, while I have appreciated the small size and weight of the A7, I have never enjoyed using it and have never got on with the menu systems and controls. Other than for travel, Or if I want to record video, I therefore still go for my d700 first. 
i shoot mainly people (two active young children), landscapes and nature - very little wildlife. 99% of my images have been at 105mm or less and most at 70 or shorter, with about 70% in natural light. Given the choice I also prefer primes.

I now want to buy a new mirror less body and thought that the A7iv would the the sensible choice as I already have some lenses, however I keep coming back to how I feel about using  the A7 i

So I have started thinking about the z6ii and z7ii and would appreciate hearing the experiences of people who have come to the z series from Nikon dslrs and whether they have the same enjoyment (or more) with their new camera. Also from anyone who has come from a Sony A7 series camera.

then finally, if I were to go for a Z series, which one would be a better fit? The autofocus of the Sony is a big pull, and if I went for a z7ii it wouldn’t be with a lens to start with, just the converter, but with the z6ii I could also get the 24-70 f4 immediately. I do want to do more video, but also have the latest go pro as a quick option there.

if you made it this far, thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing people’s thoughts.

Thanks

Taclus's gear list:Taclus's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony a7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow