Confused by possibly different versions of the Tokina 100mm Atx

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JG-TO New Member • Posts: 1
Confused by possibly different versions of the Tokina 100mm Atx

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask. I'm about to buy a used Tokina 100mm f/2.8
AT-X PRO, as my first macro lens,  but I've run into what seem to be two different versions (neither of which are the newer AT-Xi version). The lens I've seen in most reviews has the Tokina logo & model name embossed, with gold paint on a panel surrounding the focus window, yet Ebay is full of *I think* the same lens with no embossing or gold paint, but the logo & model painted on the sides of the lens. I can't find any information about a non "PRO" version of this lens - if there is that probably answers most of my question aside from how it might be different.

Right now I'm terrified of ordering the wrong version. If anyone can tell me if there's any functional or quality difference I'd greatly appreciate it & finally be on my way to learning about macro photography. My choices are the white paint version from Japan/Ebay, or the "gold" version available here in Canada, but at a significant premium.

I'm a bit embarrassed to be asking this, but I'll be more so if I ended up with the wrong lens. The lenses are all Nikon mounts, with aperture ring.

I would post a comparison picture but obviously I don't own either image so that would appear to be a clear violation of the rules.

Thank you for taking the time to read this & for any answers or clues. I really look forward to putting one of these on my camera very soon.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow